Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Monday, November 21, 2011

Novembers' Recpie, Chocolate Covered Cherries

  Yesterday Juanita and I were in the kitchen with a couple friends.  They were helping Juanita make chocolate covered cherries.  As the dippin' and rollin' were going full steam, the lights went out.

"OOO! OOO! YES!  I get to try my new generat..." and the lights came back on.

Poop.

Maybe I'll get to use my new generator another day.



Chocolate Covered Cherries

Ingredients-------------

2 and 1/2 cups of powered sugar
1/4 cup softened butter (unsalted is best, salted will be good, too)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
16 ozs maraschino cherries, with stems, drained
2 tablespoons shortening
2 cups (16 ozs) semisweet chocolate chips

Directions----------------

Combine butter, sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl, knead until mold-able.  Shape into about 3/4 inch balls, then flatten into 2 inch disks.

Wrap each disk around a cherry and gently roll in hands.  Place the wrapped cherries stem up on a sheet of waxed paper on a cookie sheet and chill the bunch.  Half an hour in the freezer, or four hours in the refrigerator.

Microwave the chocolate chips and shortening until melted, stir until smooth.  Dip the chilled cherries, holding by the stem, into the chocolate.  Let the extra drip off and place on waxed paper until the chocolate has set.  Place chocolate covered cherries in a covered container and refrigerate for a week or two before eating.

Cherries can be soaked in Bourbon before wrapping for a more adult-type treat.

 Will make about 36 covered cherries.

Here is to future power failures.

Bill

7 comments:

  1. Just you wait, your time will come. Cherries look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of our family's favorite traditions--my mom's chocolate covered cherry recipe during the holidays. We don't leave the stems out like that, but I like the look. Happy eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We'll have to try this! Glad to hear Juanita is healing. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    Jim & Jane from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking recipe! I have wanted to try chocolate covered cherries for a few years now but hadn't found a recipe so this is great! I am new to your blog and am so glad that I found it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nummmm! I'm going to definately try that recipe out! I'm thinking that if the west coast weather we just experienced blows your way, you are going to get to use that generator soon! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a good thing that you left the stems on, or I really would of believed that you took a photo of the "Poop"

    they do look yummy though....LOL

    Happy Thanksgiving to all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. My fave. I'll be over in five.

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...