Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Thursday, August 15, 2013

All Hail the Weather

About a dozen years ago, a couple friends and I put up the "cross-buck" fence that holds our horses.  Most of the time, anyway.  So when Juanita's horse Jesse came out to visit the neighbors, and eat grass, without using the gate, we realized the fence was past it's prime.

Monday I went with one of the folks in town and picked up a couple dozen corral pole sized 15 to 20 foot logs and hauled them to our pen and dumped them.  We had to use the neighbors truck as my ford...well, don't ask.

Wednesday, Juanita and I busied ourselves rebuilding the old fence.  First step was to lock up the peanut gallery.  Three of the nosiest darn horses you could hope to meet.  Once they were in lock-up we set to replacing the worst of the downed fence.

After about 4 hours, we stopped for lunch, and then we took a weather related break.
It hailed like a big dog.

We looked out and all three horses were running it tight circles in the pen they were in. "Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!"

We realized our horses wouldn't go into the shed in the pen they were in (too much noise), and they had no trees to hide under.  So I went to turn them out into the big pen.  It pretty much quit by the time I headed back to the lodge.

Ya know, when I rode a motorcycle, I didn't have this sort of problem.

Not sure I'd give it up, though.

Bill

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Hail, hail, the gangs all here! It's cold and sunny. About 78 today. NO hail. Hail, we can't get any rain around here. I will get to be President of the United States when hail freezes over. Wait. That happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hailed like a big dog hey Bill... sounds like it hailed like a big FEMALE dog ;)

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...