Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Dark and Stormy Night/Day/Night/Day...

July fifteenth.  Almost two months ago, we had a pretty major hail storm.  They used the snow plows to clear the roads up here.

The roof in our "Sun Room" started leaking.  A lot.  Trash cans and buckets were installed and the insurance company was called.  It seems the leaks are not covered by this company.  I suspect they feel hail is an act of God.

Contractors were called, as we would like it fixed, even if it is against God's will.

Contractors were called again.

And again.

Must be the fear of God that is keeping them away.  Or it may be the stupid rain.  It has rained 6 days a week for the last two months.

I finally went to "Harbor Freight Tools" last week and bought a HUGE tarp that Juanita and I NAILED to the roof a couple days ago to slow the flow.  It is working quite well.  We have lost no more sheet rock.

 Red neck roofing at it's finest.

Now, the rain is not all bad.  Forest fire danger is very low.  Hay fields down the mountain are getting stream water to irrigate with (although when we bought hay today we had to tarp it for the drive up the mountain because, you guessed it, it was raining).  We even get the occasional couple that shows up here at the lodge looking for a dry place to sleep because they have been camping and nearly drowned.

Yesterday I got a phone call from the gal that runs the livery across the street from us.  "Bill!" she says, "It's raining!"     No feces.  She has lost 4 horses to colic in the last 2 months.  She had only lost 1 horse in the previous 2 years.  I don't know if rain has induced their gut problems, but it can't be helping.

The lightning that has come along with the storms has taken it's toll, too.  One credit card machine, one printer and EVERY D@MN surge suppressor in the building.  And one neighbor about half a mile from us lost a horse to lightning.

It's raining right now.

I think mushrooms may be our new state tree.


Gray is not my favorite color any more.

Bill









3 comments:

  1. My gosh, that's a lot of rain! Living in the Pacific Northwest, I totally understand the whole "gray" thing. However, we are having one of the nicest summers that we've had in years. I know the rains are coming though, and once it starts, it won't stop until next July. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO. I'm sorry I'm laughing, but your post is brilliant. I need rain this way. We are hot, dry, and humid all at the same time. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...