Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chocolate Aztec Cookies

It's been a while since I've posted here. I'm still alive (in case you were wondering) and a little bit fatter thanks to finding amazing recipes that I *have* to try out. I was reading Terry Odell's book SAVING SCOTT and her main character was baking some mouth-watering cookies. When I got the end of the book, I was excited to find was became my All. Time. Favorite. Recipe.

All.

Time.

I'm so not kidding. You have to try these.

Spicy Aztec Chocolate Drops

Best cookies EVAH!

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
1 t finely ground coffee (or instant) <--I prefer instant, because I hate coffee; Mr. Nebalee likes his really strong coffee/espresso gunk
1/4 t cayenne (1/8 if you're a wimp)
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/2 c cocoa powder
3/4 c softened, unsalted butter
1 1/4 c sugar, divided
1 egg
1 t vanilla

Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, coffee, black pepper, cayenne, and cocoa powder. Cream the butter with 1 cup of the sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until creamy.

Re-sift the dry ingredients and add to the creamed butter concoction (it works best if you add it incrementally). Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment or foil. Roll a piece of the dough - about the size of a walnut - in the remaining 1/4 c sugar and place on cookie sheet, with about 1 inch between each cookie. (RCC and I use a small cookie scooper and drop the dough directly into the sugar to coat. Mr. Nebalee has come up with his own method involving cupcake trays and sprinkling the sugar instead of rolling it.)

Bake for eight minutes. They will appear to be underbaked, but they are PERFECT!

2 comments:

  1. The cayenne and chocolate is WONDERFUL!

    I've been trying to get Juanita to put cayenne in her chocolate chip cookies now (this is of course from the guy who likes peanut butter and Tabasco sandwiches...).

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. Happy dance! Happy dance! Thanks for posting this. And ew...to the peanut butter and Tabasco sandwich...again. ewww.

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...