Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Apple-Cheddar Scones; January's Recipe

As a special request for a friend, here is a favorite scone recipe.  I had not realized we didn't have a single one up here yet.



Apple & Cheddar Cheese Scones
Preheat oven to 425*F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
   2 c. flour
   ¼ c. sugar
   1 tbs. baking powder
   1 tsp. salt
   ½ tsp. dried thyme
   ½ tsp. cracked pepper
Combine in bowl:

   ¼ c. butter or margarine, chilled, diced
With a pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form (some pea-sized pieces):

   1 apple –Gala or Delicious-cored, cut into ¼” pieces (1 ½ cups)
   ½ c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
   ¾ c. milk
Stir in apple, cheese and milk until ingredients are moistened and a dough starts to form.

   1 egg lightly beaten
On lightly floured surface gently knead dough until it comes together – don’t over knead.
Shape into 7” wide disk.  Brush with egg.  Cut into 8 wedges and arrange 2” apart on baking sheet.
I use a round or shaped biscuit cutter instead and get about 12 scones.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden.  Cool on rack 1 minute; remove from pan and enjoy!

I found this recipe in a Woman's World magazine back in Sept. of 2004 and it has been a favorite here since.  It's one of a very few recipes that I made absolutely NO changes in - except for high altitude.  This one has not been adjusted; use as is.

Juanita

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man! I miss your wonderful food and amazing place already! I especially miss your company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummo. I miss sitting around your table and trying to talk around stuffing myself with delicious food! We'll have to beg for this one next time we're up... because I know that the COMPANY is the special ingredient that would be missing over here :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...