Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Monday, November 11, 2013

It's Not As Good As It Sounds.

Today we had our lodge's hay-day.

Not to be confused with a heyday.

   Our hay supplier, a wonderful 70+ year old farmer, brought up six tons of hay at 4:30 am this morning from his farm in Nebraska.  After a short nap and a cup of coffee, he was ready to start unloading hay.

   This year, we bought 6 tons from him, because we only have 3 horses to feed, and a lead on some winter pasture we should be able to turn them loose on for 4 months or so.  Shouldn't need quite so much food so we didn't ask for the usual 7 1/2 tons.  And that's a darn good thing.  Because in years past, we've always managed to get two or three of our kids/in-laws/young friends up here to help unload and stack the stuff.

   Not this year.  This year all of our kids are employed (full time).  All of their spouses are employed (full time).  And the young friends, employed full time.

Damn.

   One would think we would be delighted that all of ours are gainfully and fully employed.  And usually we are VERY grateful.

   Unless, of course, we have tons of hay to take off a truck and have to do it on a weekday, 'cause we're busy on weekends with guests.  Then, a little unemployment seems like a good thing.

  Juanita, the 70+ year old hay farmer, and I worked at unloading the hay from the trailer and stacking it, in front of a VERY attentive audience.  Three starving horses, who spent their time muh-muh-muhing at us until Juanita raked up some of the loose stuff for them to snack on.  They still kept an eye on us, but it's hard to nicker with your mouth full.

They approved of this years crop.

  After an hour and a half, we broke for breakfast.  During breakfast we came up with a list of the world's problems and a set of perfect solutions for them.  Then we went back to work. and finished unloading and stacking the hay.  Sadly, all of the solutions to the world's problems were forgotten by the time we finished.

That happens sometimes.



  The weather was nice, so we have put off tarping the stuff that is not in a shed until tomorrow.  Hopefully there won't be as much wind as there was today.  Big tarps are...awkward in the wind.

  After the hay was unloaded, and the hay-guy drove away, I got to thinking.

Today is Veteran's Day.  Every one of those kids was probably off work.

Double damn.


Bill

(Happy Veterans Day, and my thanks to all who served.)





 

8 comments:

  1. If I didn't live in Western NY and work from 8-5, I would have loved to help. We alway's load hay in July around here. Typically the hottest day of the year. Some sort of horse karma I think. Who's sitting on that hay bail??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me very glad I have hayfields...

    though makes me sad I dont have a 70+ year old farmer to help us solve our world problems over here. guess our 70+ year old ranchers will have to do, although all we try to do around here is try to solve the USFS's problems...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We buy our hay from a dairy farm down the road - been going there for almost 10 years now. Took a few years to get to know each other but since that time world problems and hay are always part of the conversation. Nice that we agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like unloading hay, makes me sneeze and my lungs seize up, glad yours didn't. Loved this part of your post: "we came up with a list of the world's problems and a set of perfect solutions for them" as it was just what my deceased friend used to always say after I came for a visit. He did all the problem solving though, as I was just a young un.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nuts. I would have helped if I had only known. Why didn't you call me?

    ReplyDelete

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...