Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Thursday, June 25, 2009

Refreshing Ride

Just got back from a nice, relaxing ride on the mountain. We decided to head out bareback with a picnic lunch - the horses' favorite type of ride; they get to try the mountain grasses while we eat our bagels. One problem with bare back: how to get back on? My years of abusing my body have left me anything but agile, so I started looking around for something to climb on. The best I could find was a cliffside next to the trail. You just can't say enough about a horse who will patiently stand on a very steep slope, let you climb behind her butt up a cliff and then drop onto her back, all the while rocks are cascading around her feet (from your not graceful climb)!...I do love my Jesse Mustang.

We took a backpack with ponchos as it looked (and sounded) like rain, but when it did rain we opted out. On the way home Bill saw something laying in the trail, so he hopped off. Should have seen the look on his face when he tried to hop back on a slightly wet, very slippery horse! He ended up using a bank as a mounting block, also. We passed a livery ride on our way back, so Bill told the kids to keep an eye out for the saddle he lost out there. I think some of them actually believed him. We laughed the rest of the way home as the soft hail was bouncing off our hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...