Bill and Juanita, owners of Allenspark Lodge B&B, are living their dream...

running a successful business and riding as often as possible.



Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Not such a relaxing picnic

Juanita and I had a couple hours before any guests were expected. PICNIC! We took Ranger and Jesse out, saddled up and rode off. There were 3 horse trailers parked at the trail-head, in addition to the usual "Y" camp of 15 or so kids riding up as we went out, so we took a side trail. We went out to a spot we had camped at before, but saw a dead deer where we wanted to tie up the horses. We gave the young doe a wide birth, but ran into some downed barbwire from an old fence. I skirted OK with Ranger, but Jesse caught wind of "something" and threw a minor fit and ended up backing through the downed wire. No problem, she seems to be very aware of where she is putting her feet. We tied up the horses and I walked over to the dead deer. Very recent kill... broken neck? Not very bloated. Dead less than 24 hours. I walked back to the horses, ate my bagel and chips, looking around the whole time seeing mountain lions in every tree. Didn't take a nap out there today...

Bill

2 comments:

I had to turn verification back on. Ten "spams" an hour is making me crazy...